Wednesday 21 November 2012

My finished Swoon!

So it seems I am on a bit of a roll when it comes to finishing things off :)

Drumroll........


I finished my Swoon quilt!!! Yay!

I hadn't expected to be quite so excited to be finished this, but I am and I love it!

It has actually been in use on my bed for a few weeks now with raw edges - it's getting cold in Scotland! But yesterday I managed to get the binding on and it's now washed and dried and looking very pretty if I do say so myself ;)


 I had originally decided to hand quilt this, but after I started, I realised it was just going to join the queue of quilts waiting for me to finish the hand quilting. So I left the centre block with it's perle stitches and machine quilted the rest. I quite like that the centre block looks a bit different to the rest - and it's a little reminder to me to think things through before I start something!


It shrank a little bit when I washed it, I think about 2", and ended up at 78" square. I used Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 wadding and I really really love the weight and drapeyness of it. It's thinner than some other cotton wadding, but I prefer that, and it's really lovely and soft once it's washed.


The backing is my favourite print from Joel dewberry's Heirloom line and I decided to bind it in the same print as the backing (I actually made the binding from the lengths of backing I trimmed off after quilting) I stitched the binding down with my machine, using my new machine binding skills :)


I've started binding using strips that are 1 3/4" wide rather than 2 1/2" and I really like the finish of binding this way and it uses less fabric. Would any of you be interested in a tutorial on how I now do my binding?

For those interested
Pattern is Swoon by Camille Roskelley
Fabric used is Heirloom by Joel Dewberry in the citrine colourway, and a couple of Painter's Canvas by Laura Gunn.
I used white cotton poplin rather than quilting cotton for the white background and I like how crisp and fresh it feels.
I used Empress cotton thread to  quilt it - love it, it's my new favourite - thanks to Alison :)
It's quilted by me, trying out various quilting patterns a la my Angela Waters book


Now I need to tart up my bedroom curtains so the co-ordinate with the new quilt, and make my bedroom a bit prettier, but first I have promised my husband I will hard-wire ethernet cables round the downstairs today, so the internet will be faster and we can stream movies through the Sky box. Sigh...... better go get my hammer, drill and cable clips ready. I would much rather be playing with fabric!

Happy Wednesday
Fiona x

29 comments:

  1. Your Swoon is so gorgeous, Fiona. I love the two colours per block. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely. I like the two colours swoon - it looks very calm. (Impressed by your cable-wiring too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely lovely Swoon! I am glad you are back in love with it again Fiona. It looks fantastic. I love Joel Dewberry's stuff. It looks even better on the bed with your lovely pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is very very pretty indeed. Must do one of those one day too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow is there no stopping you! It looks wonderful and yes I'd be interested in your binding technique...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's wonderful!!! Good luck with the cables...

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your swoon quilt - totally fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its so beautiful Fi! I remember when you started this! I just finished mine this weekend... its off to the quilters now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the colours in this quilt Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this quilt. It is just gorgeous. It looks so soft and inviting on your bed. I would very much appreciate a binding tutorial. I still haven't figured out how to machine quilt in a way I like. I have quite a few finishes coming up... including a kind size quilt... so I'd rally like to learn this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could do with you Mrs Fix It around my house!! Your swoon is beautiful Fi! Great that you are getting use of it already too! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely gorgeous!
    Yes please tell us your binding secrets xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a multi-tasker you are. My husband would be panicking if I was planning to play with cables - I'm good at outdoorsy hands-on things but not indoors! Gorgeous quilt, not colours I would have chosen but they really are lovely. Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my! My hubby would LOCK me in the sewing room if I threatened to run ethernet cables! you go girl! ;-)
    Anyway, your Swoon is just beautiful - So glad you finished it and I love the idea of you hand-quilting the center block. Perfect backing and binding too. Totally awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love how you finished this quilt Fiona, I am really into both hand and machine at the moment! It looks gorgeous on your bed with your beautiful cushions. And aren't you the modern woman with your cabling action!!?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Also I agree with you about the 80/20 hobbs heirloom, this is what I sell in the shop and use for everything now - I find it much more handleable (made up word) than 100% cotton, which I think is a bit floppy. We really must get together soon and talk about quilting!! I'm at the SECC for the next 4 days, come and visit me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's beautiful Fiona - you must be thrilled!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Check you out with the ethernet diy!!! I love the finished quilt and would defintely love a tutorial on your binding

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! What a fantastic finish. Absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay for you! This is a fantastic quilt. Absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A woman's work is never done... ;o) Loving your new bed quilt though!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are a multi-talented woman.... Your Swoon is definitely 'drum roll worthy' ! Beautiful! Now I hope you have finished with the drill...and back to the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous finish Fiona! Haha! I'm alliterative today! Love the colours - great to bring some sunshine to a driech day and quilting with Angela you cannot go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous Swoon - love the fresh citrus colours!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your quilt is beautiful! I love the quilting and the back is also one of my favourites of his prints.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my goodness it is so scrumptious!!!!! This is so pretty I may just have to make another one. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love reading comments and I try hard to reply to them all, but I'm a busy Mum and sometimes there just aren't enough hours in the day. Please don't be offended if I don't reply :)
If you never receive a reply from me, please check you are not a no-reply commenter.