Friday 8 March 2013

Orbiting

When Lindsey of LR Stitched announced she was running the Orbit QAL I fell in love with the pattern! I think it's the perfect pattern for showing off large scale prints and decided it was the perfect time to use my much loved Madrona Road fabric.



I pulled this bundle ages ago and planned to make an Autumnal quilt but suddenly it's almost spring and I wasn't feeling very autumnal any more ;)



I pulled out the browns and tried to make it a bit more fresh and this is what I can up with. The donkey Madrona Road print reminds me of an orchard so I tried to go for colours that made me think of apples.



I had a bit of a hard day yesterday and decided that chain piecing was the way forward. I got the quilt top finished off this morning and I'm completely in love! I really wish I'd made it bigger, but it was my last few scraps of a couple of those fabrics and I don't have enough to go bigger. Funnily the Madrona Road fabric is kind of lost and doesn't look as good as I thought it would, but that's okay.



It's a good size for snuggling at about 60" square, and is the perfect pattern for a quick feel-better quilt. I think from cutting to finished quilt top it took me 5 or 6 hours. It was a really good way to bring a little bit of comfort into a horrible day.

Now I'm planning how to quilt it :)

Have a good weekend!
Fiona x

22 comments:

  1. Really pretty Fiona! Will you be doing some more FMQ on this one? xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, chain piecing is a way to distract ourselves. I love your quilt top and I love the way certain colours pop like the hot pink. You did a brilliant blend of fabrics. I am pulling fabric today. I think I am going to make a 'My Precious' cushion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best bit of orbiting I have seen in a long time;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep I was piecing simple squares last night, just to be distracted! Love your Orbit; mine is all cut, and reckon it will be just what I need keep my mind occupied!
    xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so pretty and colourful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I like that Orbit, thats clever :-) Glad you found something so pretty to distract yourself - I went for wine and icecream and Ted. Bet you feel better today than I do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's wonderful! I hope today is better and that you can sew for pleasure, rather than therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful colours. Sorry you had such a bad day - hope things have been better since. juliex

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that pattern too! The fabrics work really well together! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely quilt top, soo pretty. Hope you've had a better day today :)

    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  11. You chose great fabrics to play together! This is looking gorgeous. I hope today is a better one for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it turned out great! Hope today was better

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that's a quick quilt! I love this pattern and the colours you chose all work very nicely with each other. Looking forward to seeing the Further FMQ exploits of Fiona!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice fabric and pattern. Definitely sewing therapy. Di c

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with the sewing therapy! I recently cut a huge stack of coins in similar colors so I'd have something at the ready any time I just want to sit and listen to my machine hum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun and fresh quilt, I love it. I often like to do simple piecing to relax or think something through, I hope it helped you out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgous, I love the colour and feel of this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your colour choices are excellent. I love this quilt

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a cool pattern! Those prints and colors are just perfect. Would you think of quilting it echo quilting the "octagon"? Would be easy enough...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really love your quilt, the colors are gorgeous! I didn't realize how large the madrona truck print was. I'm sorry it didn't work out like you'd thought! Can't wait to see if finished!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love reading comments and I try hard to reply to them all, but I'm a busy Mum and sometimes there just aren't enough hours in the day. Please don't be offended if I don't reply :)
If you never receive a reply from me, please check you are not a no-reply commenter.