Thursday 10 November 2011

A find and a finish

I've finally finished my Across The Sea quilt!

Across The Sea Front

The other day when my friend came round to pick up the wall hanging and pillow I made her, I showed her some of the things I was working on. When I showed her this quilt, which was full of basting pins, she fell in love and begged me to make a quilt for her. I said she could have this one, and it was just the motivation I needed to finish it up.

Across The Sea Folded

I really love the backing pattern that Sarah designed for the quilt along but I just couldn't face making it. I know that lots of people just love grey in quilts but I've discovered I really don't like cutting and sewing grey fabric. It makes me feel grey and gloomy. Especially when it's raining outside and the sky is grey. A few times I got the fabric out to make the backing but always put it away again. On a whim I pulled out one of my favourite prints, the Dandelion Print by Patty Young in Raspberry. I grabbed the leftovers from the Fat Quarters I'd used in the front and just sewed them all together.
I am so pleased with the way it turned out and I think I prefer the back of the quilt to the front!

Across The Sea - Back

I quilted it with random wavy lines using variegated thread and I love how on the back it looks like wind blowing the dandelion seeds :)

Fabric used is Heirloom by Joel Dewberry, Klona grey, and Patty Young's Dandelion in Raspberry.
Pattern is Across The Sea by Jennifer and Sarah

I'll be quite sad to hand this over to my friend!

Happy Thursday!

20 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful quilt and I do love grey! but I know what you mean about working in grey, I'm always drawn to bright or pretty coloured embroidery threads. The back is just stunning and I love the idea that your could just turn it over if you were feeling a little gloomy.

    kate x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Fi its totally gorgeous! I don't know how you can bear to part with it!! I love the backing! I have quite a bit of that dandelion stashed away too, still looking for somewhere to use it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it looks so beautiful all finished. The grey background just makes those bright colours shine. I love the back too, it is very bright and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful! I've not used much grey fabric but I can imagine that on a dreary November day it's the last thing you feel like using...the cheerful back was such a good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you are an amazing friend to have!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful! I love the grey, but I can totally see why you may not want to work with it during the greyest time of year. The back is fabulous, too! And I think you are completely right about the quilting resembling seeds in the air. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The back is so cheerful, I love it. After reading your blog story, don't be surprised if other friends start knocking on your door to make claim to your ufos LOL. Seriously though, it always feels so good to give a quilt to someone who really loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Heirloom and your quilt is beautiful. Your backing is gorgeous!! Yea for finishing the ATS quilt!

    lifesrichpattern@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this is beautiful Fi! Mine still isn't finished, you put me to shame. Love how you've done the back! I'm sure your friend will treasure it! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I as beginning to think I'm the only one who doesn't like gray; you explained it well! This is such a pretty quilt, and I like the back even better, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! I love the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it, and I love the grey especially!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love how this turned out! I think your backing turned out gorgeous and works great with the front :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done on the finish, it looks fab, front and back :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE LOVE LOVE this quilt. Definitely my favourite in this pattern! And that dandelion print is one of my favourites, too. Nice job, missus!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stick to brights in future if you must but I love your front!

    Just as well you don't live in Aberdeen Fiona - I did for four years and when the weather was gloomy the city was too, but when the sun shone so did the buildings!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is gorgeous!! I really love the bright colours with the grey!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. love the quilt - must make this one, one of these days

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, this one is just gorgeous! The gray may have bummed ya out, but it really makes the colors pop!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooh this looks so beautiful, I love it. The jewel colours you chose definitely stop the grey being gloomy (wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have so many grey gloomy days?). I cant believe how generous you are as well, I need friends like you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love reading comments and I try hard to reply to them all, but I'm a busy Mum and sometimes there just aren't enough hours in the day. Please don't be offended if I don't reply :)
If you never receive a reply from me, please check you are not a no-reply commenter.