I think Magnolia might be my favourite block in the Farmer's Wife 1930s book. To me it's a beautifully simple, elegant block and I think it's a lovely way to show off a favourite scrap of fabric.
Kerry has has made a stunning Magnolia block and you can see it and her Lucy block over on her blog.
I made two versions of the block and I plan to make a few more. I made the first using a scrappy dark background and some scraps I had lying around. I made this version to go in another quilt and I machine pieced it using the templates. Whilst I like it, I couldn't get it as accurate as I would have liked. I think my precise 1/4" seam might need a bit of work!
My second version will be going in my Farmer's wife quilt. I used a pale pink solid for my background and some of my favourite 1930s repro scraps. I EPP'd this one and I'm much happier with the finish.
I've started to write the colours I'll be using on the block diagram before I cut it up because I get easily confused with which fabric goes with which shape. It's working out well for me so far.
Here's a quick snap I took of all the blocks I've made so far. I'm starting to think about the balance of colour now when I'm choosing fabric for each new block. I think I need some more little pops of black and more dark blue.
I can't wait to make more of these blocks. I'm really loving this QAL!